Welcome to the “Going Up Alleys” Podcast, a highly irregular and potentially self-promoting podcast on directions in science!
In this inaugural episode, I shamelessly present my recent Godbey Lecture entitled “The Cosmos and the Collider: Our Quest to Understand the Universe.” I spoke to a room full of inquisitive Godbey Lecture Series members from a wide set of backgrounds and discussed the connection between collider physics and cosmic questions. I also attempted to communicate what it means to study physics at the LHC, and how recent hints of the Higgs particle may signal a new era of exploration in physics. What lies on the continent whose shores are marked by Mount Higgs?
- The SMU Godbey Lecture Series
- The SMU Department of Physics in Dedman College
- Writer Timothy Ferris, a science communicator who stirred my interest in physics
- ATLAS media links
- Music for the podcast is licensed under Creative Commons and is by the artist, Nicoco. The song used in the podcast is “Occipital,” from the album “Classicoco,” and is available from Jamendo.
- This podcast was produced at Hampton House, my little slice of Heaven. Linux and Ubuntu were used in the making of this podcast, as was Audacity, a Shure SM-58 microphone, a Macbook, a BLUE microphone, and a little bit of “too much free time.”
Slides from my lecture