COURSE INFORMATION (FALL 2016)
I will again be teaching this course during the Fall of 2016, and I look forward to working with you as we explore the foundations and applications of electricity and magnetism. Please see the example material below (and on the archived class material) for examples of how I teach. You may find some of the recorded lectures useful in advance of taking the course.
Here, in this video, is a helpful summary of what the first semester of physics means, and how the second semester will represent a leap forward in thinking about the universe. I am excited by this journey, and I hope this video conveys the excitement I feel about physics.
Fondren Science 158 – Tue. and Thur. 9:30AM – 10:50AM
All Lecture Videos
This course uses the “flipped classroom model,” where you watch the lecture and conduct reading BEFORE coming to the classroom. Class time is used to conduct just-in-time teaching (teaching to observed learning issues), peer mentoring (students helping each other to solve problems), and other active learning methods.
Here are all Physics II (PHYS 1304/PHYS 1308) lecture videos:
Learning System and Textbook
This course uses an excellent online system – WileyPLUS with Orion – for distributing homework, grading homework, and providing feedback on your performance in the course. Students who have used WileyPLUS have given high marks to the system. It is your responsibility to master the usage of the system, as it is the primary way in which you will submit your homework and self-assess your performance in the class. If you have any problems, contact the class instructor IMMEDIATELY.
Required: Halliday, Resnick, Walker. “Fundamentals of Physics Volume II” (10th edition with WileyPLUS and Orion).
- WileyPLUS with Orion Course Page for PHYS 1308
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you buy the online-only version of the textbook to save money, since WileyPLUS is required for this course. WileyPlus is the primary means by which homework will be distributed and assessed.
- WileyPLUS Website: http://www.wileyplus.com
- Other WileyPLUS Information: Flyer, Powerpoint, etc.
Written and Submitted Material Policy
Instructor Office Hours
- Tuesday (FOSC 39): 12:30pm – 2:30pm
(time outside of office hours must be formally requested)
Teaching Assistants: Peilong Wang
Teaching Assistant-led Help Session(s): FOSC 38A
- Peilong Wang: TBD and by appointment
(time outside of these help session hours can be formally requested in writing to the teaching assistant)
- Reading Assignments and Reading Quizzes (5%) – every class, to track reading and gauge attendance
- Homework (10%) – issued about once per week
- In-class Exams (60%, 15% per exam):
- First In-Class Exam: Thursday, September 22, 2016 (Incremental)
- Second In-Class Exam: Thursday, October 20, 2016 (Incremental)
- Third In-Class Exam: Thursday, November 17, 2016 (Incremental)
- Final Exam: Friday, December 9, 2016 08:00-11:00 (Incremental)
- Grand Challenge Physics Problem (25%)
Interactive Physics Demonstrations: The PhET Demonstration Simulators